Low testosterone count? Lost vigor and sexual function? You might want to check out one of the in-demand medications nowadays. Testosterone Replacement Therapy is one of the proven best treatment for aging men and women to improve their physical, mental and even sexual health status. In fact, according to an article from Pharmacy Times in 2016, the number of Testosterone prescriptions has followed an upward trend since 1999.
Because of TRT’s popularity, most clinics are already offering affordable rates which makes you more responsible for knowing everything about this treatment.
If you are thinking of trying out this medication, make sure to remember the following facts about Testosterone Replacement Therapy:
- Testosterone is a hormone produced by the gonads and by the adrenal glands on both sexes. It stimulates the growth of male characteristics. As we age, our testosterone level also decreases which results in decreased sex drive, hair and muscle tone.
- Testosterone was first synthesized in 1935 and became commercially available as a pharmaceutical drug in the form of pellets in 1937. Intramuscular testosterone undecanoate was introduced for oral use in Europe during the 1970s although it had been used by China for several years. This was not introduced in Europe and the United States until much later.
- TRT brings about a bunch of benefits specially to aging men such as increased sex drive, 10 to 15% increased muscle and improved mood.
- Many menopausal women are using TRT to improve their libido.
- Testosterone can be taken in multiple forms such as:
- Transdermal (Patches)
- Topical (Gels)
- Intramuscular (Injection)
- Subcutaneous (Implant Administration)
- TRT is designed to be long-term therapy.
To learn more about TRT and the significant benefits it can bring, check out the infographic below.